Sunday, August 2, 2009

MacKenziesaurus Ogles Pixar


Cloud - Click here for the funniest movie of the week

If you watch that video, and your heart strings remain intact, then there is something inherently wrong with you. This was the Pixar short that preceded UP! I'm an actor, so it pains me to admit that Pixar accomplishes a degree of story telling with fake cartoon people that is next to unachievable in live action movies. UP! was a life changing movie. Even this short, a mere five minutes, had more meaning than the last six movies I've seen COMBINED. Compare something like this tiny bubble of Pixar gold to a steaming pile like Twilight. I don't know about you guys, but I'd much rather my children be raised by the likes of the Pixar staff than by a vampire story that revolves around the fact that true love equals eerie obsession. Twilight is everything that's wrong with story-telling. The main character falls instantly in love with a statuesque man-god who is equally obsessed with her; They break-up and, because she can't possibly live without him, she wades around in a crippling pool of self pity and depression, rebounds to a genuinely nice guy, then tries to kill herself and is saved by the man-god who, surprise, still loves her, (Attention girls, if he breaks up with you, do not attempt to test him by attempting suicide); Man-god things girl has died, then tries to off himself as well (How romantic!); Girl becomes vampire, giving up her very soul to be with man-god, and sacrifices her family and independence and future. Ew. There is nothing appealing about that kind of love. All of those constructs are overwhelming and creepy.
I would rather my children experience the life lessons of the Pixar collection. In UP!, persistence doesn't mean attempted suicide, but continuing to pursue your dreams under insurmountable odds. My vote's for Pixar in the "movies I want to model my life after" catagory.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, your observation of the creepiness in Twilight is most poignant. Well done sir, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well said! (although I haven't seen either movie yet...)

    ReplyDelete