Monday, July 27, 2009

MacKenziesaurus Ponders the Validity of Crape Myrtle's Cafe

Another Hill-top News article for your viewing pleasure.
_____________________

In Alabama, intercorporate marriage is frowned upon. That's why we don't have Gaps that serve waffles, or Arbys that offer hair styling. It's not natural, and I'm sure somewhere there's a verse against it in the Bible. That's why the civil union formed between LittleProfessor's bookstore and Crape Myrtle's Cafe' in Homewood struck me with such wanton force. Separated by an archway of sin, the small independent LittleProfessor's, a cosy little bookstore which warrants its own review, is eternally locked in a harlequin embrace with Crape Myrtle's Cafe, an embrace adequate to send the patriarchy into coughing fits. After gazing over the menu like a little boy with a Sears catalogue, and eating the Eden's apple lain upon my plate, I assure you that the patriarchy would eat here; in fact, I saw two of them.

I had the brunch, served Sunday from 10am-3pm, sporting such ribald delicassies as Oatmeal Brulee ($9), an oatmeal with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and caramelized sugar, Huevos Rancheros ($11), two poached eggs, flour tortilla, black beans and rice, with avacado and salsa, and The Brunch Burger ($9.50), a hamburger. I, however, settled on the Smoked Trout ($13) served with sweet potato gratin, toast, and poached eggs. I ordered the coffee which, coming from a barista, was black silver. Before I could properly evaluate the coffee, and write the previous sentence, the food arrived. It was pretty; suspiciously pretty. My suspicions were confirmed. It was pretty so you wouldn't eat it, because if you did you might never leave. The sweet potato gratin was tasty, but not quite as sweet potatoey as I would have liked. The smoked trout would have made the fish's family forgive his absence if they only could have known how delicious he was. I'll write them a thank you note. My dining counterpart's response to “How's the chicken salad?” was to continue chewing and nodding a preoccupied “yes.” The chicken salad at Crape Myrtle's Cafe' is, in face, yes.

Breakfast is offered on weekdays from 6:30am to 10am, lunch from 11am to 3pm, and Tuesday-Saturday Dinner from 5:30pm.

The menus not offered to me featured:
Lunch; Jambalaya ($8.95), Chicken and Tuna salad plates ($8.95), Meatloaf ($8.95), and Grilled Ribeye Sandwich ($9.95).
Dinner; Grilled Salmon ($16.95), Frittatas ($9.95), or Hamburger Steak ($10.95). Desserts of crème brulee infused with tea ($5.95) and caramel fudge pecan pie ($5.95).

Crape Myrtle's Cafe'
located behind LittleProfessor's Bookstore
2721 18th Street South Homewood
www.cmycafe.com

No comments:

Post a Comment